Everyone loves tacos, so why not make them healthier?
1 240 gram package of Noble Bean tempeh
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. Mexican-spiced diced tomatoes
1 fresh jalapeño, diced
2-4 tsp. chili powder
3 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. lime juice
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. minced chipotle pepper
1/4 c. Bragg's liquid aminos or light soy sauce
1/2 red onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
2 tbsp. water
salt + pepper to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
dash of liquid smoke
6-8 hard taco shells
vegan or dairy cheese, guacamole, salsa, hot sauce, cilantro, black olives, and lime wedges for serving
1. Crumble your tempeh into a large mixing bowl. Then, using a large spoon, mix in the garlic, tomatoes, jalapeño, chili powder, cumin, lime juice, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, chipotle pepper, liquid smoke and Bragg's seasoning sauce. Once your tempeh is completely mixed into the spices, mix in the onion and pepper add water a little at a time into your mix while stirring your ingredients continuously. Adjust seasonings if desired by adding salt and pepper to taste.
2. Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, toss in the tempeh mixture Flip your tempeh-vegetable mixture a few times so that it browns evenly. You'll know it's ready when your vegetables are tender and your tempeh has crispy edges. It takes about 10 minutes.
3. While your tempeh is cooking, heat your taco shells slightly in the oven following the directions on the package.
4. Once your taco shells are warm, fill them with the tempeh and vegetable mixture. Top with cheese and set aside so it can melt slightly.
5. Serve with guacamole, salsa, cilantro, lime wedges and anything else you like on your tacos.